Maruti Suzuki to supply A-star to Volkswagen
Last Updated at
- 01:03 pm, February 22, 2011
Maruti Suzuki will produce the A-star for Volkswagen too, under the new partnership deal
After buying out 20% stake in Suzuki Motors, Volkswagen was looking at various cars in Suzuki’s stable which could be re-branded as a Volkswagen and sold in emerging markets as cheap city cars. The first model that VW has identified for this purpose seems to be the Suzuki A-star.
For the last two years, Maruti Suzuki has been successfully supplying the A-star to Nissan Motors which is then re-badged as the Pixo. Economic Times is reporting that Volkswagen chose the A-star in the Suzuki line-up after judging Maruti Suzuki’s proven ability to supply this vehicle to a third party manufacturer. Maruti Suzuki’s engineering team will be working closely with Volkswagen to tweak the A-star’s design and dynamics as per VW’s requirement; however the technical specs will remain the same. In all probability, the VW-badged A-star could become the next small car for VW India to operate below the Polo until the Up! city car comes along.
First Published on 01:03 pm, February 22, 2011
- Tata Indigo eCS eMax and Indica eV2 eMax (CNG) unveiled
- Official: Ford EcoSport to launch on June 26, 2013
- Tata updates Indica; presents the 2013 model
- Official: 2013 Mercedes Benz E-class facelift to be launched on June 25
- Tata Nano eMax (CNG) unveiled; promises fuel economy of 36 km/kg