OnCars India Buzz: 09 July 2012
Last Updated at
- 05:10 pm, July 09, 2012
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG spied; BMW F30 3-Series to arrive this month; Ferrari F12 Berlinetta launched in Italy & Nissan GT Academy online competition.
- Over 830,000 gaming enthusiasts attempted to gain entry into the 2012 edition of the Nissan GT Academy online competition. The participants were required to download the competition demo, based on Sony's excellent driving simulator for the PS3, Gran Turismo 5, and complete a series of challenges culminating in a one-lap timed event, using a Nissan 370Z on a virtual representation of the Motegi circuit.
- Even though the next generation Mercedes Benz C-Class is expected to be ready by 2014, the German automaker has already begun work and testing the high performance AMG version of the C-Class, the spy shots of which have been snagged. The new C63 AMG will feature a 5.5-litre twin turbocharged V8 engine instead of the current 6.2-litre naturally aspirated unit.
- BMW's much awaited F30 3-Series is reportedly, slated to launch in the last week of July 2012. The new 3-Series will be offered in both petrol and diesel powertrains. The petrols will constitute of the 320i and the 328i variants which will put out 184PS / 270 Nm and 245 PS / 350 Nm respectively. The oil-burners will come in the form of the 320d and the 330d which will produce 184 PS / 380 Nm and 262 PS / 560 Nm respectively. These will be available with the new eight-speed ZF transmission that is available on the current 5-series.
- At this Sunday's inaugural round of the Volkswagen Polo R Cup 2012, Mexican driver Deigo Duez bagged the first place, becoming the first international driver to win the JK Tyre Volkswagen Polo R Cup. The second and third place was secured by Alisha Abdullah and Prashanth Tharani Singh respectively.
- Renault India's managing director, Marc Nassif has set his mind upon touching sales of one lakh units in the Indian market by 2013-14 and pushing up the market share to 15 per cent a year later. Currently, Renault India holds mere 0.24 per cent market share in the country and in the company's global market India ranks at No 13.
- BMW has announced to infuse an investment of close to 250 million pounds by the end of 2015 for expanding capacity at its British manufacturing plants where the company builds its Mini car. The additional funds would support BMW's international growth strategy for the Mini brand, which will be expanded to include up to 10 different versions in the model range in the mid-term.
- The 91st edition of Mahindra Great Escape held in Lonavla concluded successfully this Saturday, which saw participation from more 130 Mahindra vehicles from Mumbai, Pune, Nasik and neighboring states.
- Last month, we had brought to you the spy shots of the facelifted 2013 Renault Fluence, At the time, we had speculated the new model will be unveiled at the upcoming 2012 Paris Motor Show. However, the French automaker has now officially confirmed the new Fluence will be launched in Paris in September. We expect the facelift version of the Fluence sedan to arrive in Indian market by the end of 2013.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd is reportedly, mulling to launch its Verito compact sedan on the 25 July 2012 in the Indian market. The sub-four meter Verito sedan is expected to carry a competitive price tag will challenge the Tata Indigo CS and the Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire.
- The all-new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Fluidic that was first revealed at this year's New York Auto Show in April is expected to debut in the Indian market only in 2013. Hyundai's Elantra Fluidic sedan however, will make in to the market this August.
- Dr Andreas Schaaf, president of BMW India will soon be stepping down from his position to make way for Mr Philipp Von Sahr who will assume responsibilities from 1 October 2012. De Schaaf will move back to Munich to take over an executive position at BMW's headquarters.
- The fastest Ferrari ever and the replacement model to the 599 GTB Fiorano, the new 2012 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta has been launched in the company's local market, Italy at 274,000 euros, excluding taxes. When the taxes are added, the exotic supercar will retail closet to 369,589 euros. Even at that price, the F12 Berlinetta will still be cheaper than its predecessor, the 599 GTB Fiorano.
- Red Bull driver Mark Webber won the British Grand Prix at Silverstone this Sunday. Webber passed pole-sitter Alonso with just four laps remaining. The Australian's Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel was third as British pair Lewis Hamiltom and McLaren team-mate Jenson Button finished eight and eleventh respectively.
- Lamborghini has announced today that the company will open a new facility that will place priority and focus only on the Italian carmaker's special or limited edition models, such as the recent Lamborghini Aventador Unica. After Unica, Lamborghini is working on putting the Sesto Elemento concept we saw at the 2010 Paris Motor Show into limited production.
- Chevrolet has announced that that the company will make an exit from the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) after the final race of the 2012 season. A reason for the move has not been given by the company. But it seems like the crumbling auto market in Europe has compelled Chevrolet into withdrawing from WTCC.
First Published on 05:10 pm, July 09, 2012
- A couple and their 1966 Volkswagen Vanagon tours across India
- Exclusive Scoop: Volkswagen Polo GT TDI diesel caught on test
- Scoop: 2013 Skoda Octavia caught on test in India
- Exclusive: Skoda Rapid caught sporting new logo and brand lettering
- OnCars India Buzz: 21 May 2013