OnCars India Buzz: 10 September 2012
Last Updated at
- 05:41 pm, September 10, 2012
Car sales dive 18.6% in August; Huge discounts on cars being offered; Maruti Suzuki executives to get lessons in combat & Pope Benedict XVI to whizz around in a Renault Kangoo.
- French automaker Renault has given Pope Benedict XVI an electric car, the Renault Kangoo Maxi Z.E to whizz around in the Vatican city. The white pope-carrier bearing the pontifical crest of arms on its side may also be used to shuttle the pope between churches outside the Vatican.
- Car sales in India have dived down for the first time in 10 months in August 2012, according to data released by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM.) Automakers sold 118,142 cars in August 2012, which is 18.6 per cent down when compared to the year-ago period.
- It is an annual ritual for carmakers to offer attractive discounts and goodies during the festive season to drive the sales of their respective cars. This year however, due to muted sales and sluggish market conditions it is not just the petrol cars that are being given away with massive discounts but the diesel models, which enjoyed a long waiting period and premium pricing till now are also being bundled with huge price cuts, in some cases as high as Rs 50,000 a car on select models.
- Honda is offering discounts worth up to Rs 60,000 on its entire line-up by way of cheaper insurance schemes. Loyalty bonus is also being offered to buyers upgrading from a Honda car to another Honda product.
- Volkswagen has announced that the company will infuse an investment close to 100 million euros or Rs 700 crore approximately in the next two years for upgrading facilities and its products for the country.
- Force Motors have announced that the company will invest close to Rs 1,000 crore for developing new products and capacity expansion in the next three years. The company that currently rolls out light commercial vehicles, utility vehicles, tractors and diesel engines from two plants is also considering setting up of a third plant.
- German luxury carmaker Audi is setting up a dedicated production unit at the Aurangabad plant of Volkswagen group firm, Skoda in order to meet increasing demand in the Indian market. The new plant will have a capacity of 3,000 units annually - the construction of which has started and will be completed by the end of this year.
- Tata-owned Jagaur Land Rover have announced to have invested 370 million pounds in upgrading its UK manufacturing facilities and in setting up a new Land Rover assembly plant in Pune.
- MahindraReva, the electric car arm of India's largest utility vehicle company Mahindra &Mahindra, is aiming to price its electric car RevaNXRat a 20% premium of the conventionally-run petrol hatchbacks in India .
- Following the unfortunate violent incident that plagued the Maruti Suzuki plant in Manesar in July 2012, the company has hired a combat trainer to teach self-defense techniques to its executives working at its Manesar and Gurgaon facility.
- Back in August 2012, Honda Siel Cars India Ltd that was a joint venture between Honda and Usha International of the Shriram Group ended their sixteen year long partnership, with the latter reportedly selling its 3.16 per cent stake to the Japanese carmaker for Rs 180 crore. However, the process of changing the company name was due to be completed in the following months. Today however, the Japanese automaker has officially reported to have changed the name of its Indian operations to Honda Cars India Ltd from Honda Siel Cars India Ltd.
- Suzuki Motor Corporation has unveiled the 2013 Suzuki Wagon R in Japan. The 2013 Wagon R is actually the second generation of the model is close to 55Kg lighter than the previous model and comes powered with the same 660cc three-cylinder engine that has been improved with the Idling Stop system. The 2013 Wagon R model is basically divided into two, with the stock Wagon R and the better-equipped and visually more interesting Wagon R Stingray, which gets a more aggressive grille, extended fenders and alloy wheels.
- Suzuki is planning to launch the new Suzuki Swift sedan (known as Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire in India) in the Chinese market by the end of 2013. The Swift DZire or the Swift sedan will join the Swift hatchback model that is already being sold in China.
- Ford Motor Corporation is planning to ship Indian-built engine to Europe and to other markets as the company tries to boost exports in order to use its expanding Indian production capacity.
- The official images of the 2012 Mini Paceman has been leaked ahead of its official debut slated for 2012 Paris Motor Show. The official images have emerged post the unveiling of the model in concept form not too long ago. The Mini Paceman is getting the same platform and wheelbase as the five-door model but it has a lower stance and will be powered by a 120PS 1.6-litre, the 181PS 1.6-litre and the top of the line 215PS John Cooper Works version.
- Mercedes Benz has announced a new eco-friendly version of the B-Class called B 200 Natural Gas Drive that is slated to take its first official bow at the upcoming 2012 Paris Motor Show later this month.
- The Spanish bank, Santander has extended its sponsorship deal with Ferrari through 2017 and to mark Santander's extension, Ferrari will mark the line "World's Best Bank" on the rear wing of its Formula One cars.
- Vorayuth Yoovidhaya, the grandson of the co-creator of Red Bull Chaleo Yoovidhaya was arrested in Thailand after the 27-year old hit a policeman with his Ferrari FF, which eventually led to the cop's sad demise.
- Audi has officially unveiled the 2013 RS5 Cabriolet which is set to go on sale early next year. Unlike the hardtop version which (from a distance) pretty much looks like every other high-performance Audi on sale today, the RS5 Cabriolet sets itself apart with a motorized folding soft-top, revised front-end look, all-new 19-inch ten spoke alloys and full LED tail lamps at the back.
First Published on 01:05 pm, September 10, 2012
- McLaren announces limited edition 12C Coupe and Spider
- Renault-Nissan likely to end badge engineering with Nissan's version of Duster
- Electronic Arts announces Need for Speed Rivals for November 2013
- OnCars India Buzz: 24 May 2013
- It's official: Ford EcoSport to launch next month