OnCars India Buzz: 20 August 2012
Last Updated at
- 07:02 am, August 20, 2012
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Automatic in works; Mercedes Benz celebrates 145 years of AWD & Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe Aviator Collection revealed.
- Rolls-Royce has introduced the Phantom Coupe Aviator Collection to pay homage to founder Charles Stewart Rolls and the 1930s Schneider Trophy-winning Supermarine S6B at the Pebble Beach Quail gathering in the United States. The first in the collection of 35 Phantom Coupé Aviator Collection models, which feature a range of design concepts, colour combinations and new materials.
- Maruti Suzuki has stated that the company has fired more than 500 workers, who were found to be part of the unfortunate and horrific riot that plagued the company plant in Manesar in July. On the other hand, workers affiliated to the Gurgaon workers union have decided to go against the decision and said that Maruti has been indifferent to its employees with this mass summary dismissal and are demanding reinstatement of all innocent workers who have been sacked by the company.
- In a response to a query put forth to Nissan India on whether the company is looking to introduce a model that is prices lower that its Micra range, Nissan Motor India managing director and CEO, Takayuki Ishida stated that the company is currently studying the local market and will a take a decision accordingly. The company plans to create a presence in all segments in India.
- Putting Lucknow firmly on the map as a market with appetite for luxury products, iconic car brand Mercedes Benz opened its first showroom in the city on Friday. This would be the first such dealership by a luxury car maker in Lucknow as well as Uttar Pradesh.
- The government is in the process of examining proposals to increase excise duty on diesel cars in the Parliament and in a written reply to a question put forth in Rajya Sabha, the Minister of State Finance, S S Palanimanickam said, "Representations have been received by the government for increasing excise duty on diesel cars. These are under examination"
- In a press conference held in Indonesia, Suzuki has promised an automatic variant of its hugely popular Ertiga MPV and considering the model is being exported to the Indonesian market from India, it is most likely that the new automatic variant will also make way into the Indian showrooms.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd reportedly, is in talks with Hyundai to source an automatic transmission that will make way into the hot-selling Mahindra XUV500. If the deal goes through, it is most likely that Hyundai's 6-Speed automatic transmission, which is currently seen on the Verna, Elantra and the Sonata models will also find a home in the XUV500.
- Mercedes Benz is celebrating 105 years, since the company coined and offered for the very first time, the all-wheel drive (AWD) technology this month. According to the German carmaker, the first all-wheel drive made by Mercedes-Benz was being offered in an era of dirt roads and the Dernburg-Wagen was the world’s first vehicle to get all-wheel drive. The model used to come with a ground clearance of 32 cm and had a 6.8-litre four-cylinder engine, producing a total output of 35 PS, along with four-wheel steering.
- If your dreams include becoming the Queen’s chauffeur, you’d better check out the vacancy for a driver based at Buckingham Palace available on the Royal Family’s official website
- The famous Austrian-American actor, bodybuilder, politician and more, Arnold Schwarzenegger is making a return to cinemas with the upcoming action movie titled, "The Last Stand" in which, he will be seen driving a Camaro ZL1.
- After providing more than 4,000 vehicles for the 2012 London Olympics Games, BMW plans to use these vehicles next week at the Paralympic Games, after which the fleet of cars will be sold through company's Approved Used Car programme.
First Published on 12:26 am, August 20, 2012
- Audi A4 now available at Zero Per cent interest
- BMW reveals 2014 M5 with 575PS Competition Pack
- Haryana cops lathicharge Maruti Suzuki workers and their families
- Limited offer: Maruti Suzuki offering 100-litre of fuel on select diesel models
- Tata launches Vista D90 in Nepal