OnCars India Buzz: 28 June 2012
Last Updated at
- 07:00 pm, June 28, 2012
Petrol price could go down by Rs 4; Hyundai Elantra Fluidic caught on test; Force Motor's Gurkha to be revived & Xbox's Kinnect in your car.
- Microsoft is planning to develop its Xbox's Kinect motion control system for use in vehicles. The technology will be able to intact with the driver via speech, gestures and face tracking. Plus, the system will learn the driver's habits and offer personalized contextual information and driving assists to get them to their destination as quickly and safely as possible.
- Hyundai reportedly, is planning to introduce a new flagship crossover that will be positioned above the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe crossover and will compete with the likes of Audi Q7 and the Mercedes Benz M-Class.
- In another news, the soon-to-be-launched Hyundai Elantra fluidic has been caught on test in India. The model was first showcased at the 2012 Auto Expo and is expected to launch in India by September this year.
- The highly potent Gurkha on-off roaders from Force Motors was pulled out from the market in early 2011, the reason for which still remains a mystery. However, according to reports, Force Motors is planning to revive the model and bring it back into the Indian market and when it does it is most likely to come fitted with the new 2.2-litre turbocharged, inter-cooled, common rail diesel engine that is currently housed in the Force One SUV.
- General Motors India, is reportedly planning to introduce three new cars in the Indian market by the end of this year to refurbish its small-car portfolio and improve sagging sales in the domestic market. First among the three new cars to be launched is the Chevrolet Enjoy MPV, followed with a refreshed version of the Chevrolet Spark compact car. The company will also phase out the aging Aveo UV-A hatchback and Aveo notchback and replace it by its upcoming hatchback and sedan combo under its Sail brand. The Optra sedan too, is nearing the end of its life cycle and will be phased out eventually.
- Premier India is reportedly, testing the 6-seater MPV called the Zotye Multipan Langyue in India, which is currently being sold in the Chinese market. The pune-based company plans to launch the same 6-seater MPV in the Indian market with a price tag under Rs 9 lakh.
- Tata Motors have halted production at its plant in Jamshedpur due to the prevailing economic conditions and to avoid the resulting pile up of inventory due to slack in sales. The company has announced a block closure for three days, starting today.
- The spy shots of the 2013 Renault Fluence sedan have been snagged doing test rounds in Europe. The facelifted version is expected to sport new set of headlights, a revised grille and a front bumper. On the rear, will be revised tail lamps and a new bumper. We expect the Renault Fluence facelift to arrive by the end of 2012 at least in the International markets.
- Nissan is aiming to break and set a new Guinness World Record at the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed with its Nissan Leaf by driving it in reverse at the 1.16 miles Goodwood hill-climb course. The plan is part of Nissan's Big Turn On campaign, aimed at promoting electric vehicles in Europe.
- Renault's highly-anticipated Duster SUV, which is slated to launch in India on 4 July 2012, has been launched in the UK with a starting price of 8,995 pounds or Rs 8 lakh approximately. In the UK market however, the Duster SUV will be sold under Renault's low-cost brand for Europe - Dacia.
First Published on 07:00 pm, June 28, 2012
- BMW reveals 5-Series facelift; adds new entry-level diesel variant
- Volkswagen CrossBlue and CrossBlue coupe to be made in China
- Gran Turismo 6 announced
- Skoda plans to discontinue Fabia
- Scoop: Upcoming BMW 2 Series caught undisguised